Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What Nails Should I Use



I'm building a fence using pressure treated pine. What nails should I use? I have a porter cable framing nail gun. I read somewhere that I should not use galvanized nails with the pressure treated wood. Any truth to this? All of the nails I've seen so far for nail guns are galvanized.
Also, I was planning on using 3 inch nails to nail the rails (2x4s) to the posts, and 2 inch nails to nail the pickets to the rails. Does that sound right?
Thanks.

I too have heard something of that nature, that galvanized nails should not be used with Pressure treated fencing. Honestly , I have never had issue with it, but who knows maybe there is something in the new pressure treating chemicals that reacts with the galvanized coatings of nails or such.
Still , never having an issue does not mean that there is nothing wrong with it. I will investigate more myself. The best way to investigate this is to contact the nail company you have been purchasing from. That is what I am going to try to do tomorrow morning .
We will see.
I will let you know more when I know more.
till then.

Hmmm yeah, that seems just the opposite of everything I've ever been taught or heard. Matter of fact, seems like when the new PT stuff came out they said you needed to use the extra heavy galvanized fasteners.
That was a big thing I remember a few years back, they said look for the stuff that was approved for use with ACQ (what we had in our area) as the old CCA approved stuff would corrode in short order.

The new chemicals in pressure treated wood require zinc coated joist hangers other hardware. If you go to Home Depot, you'll see a lot of hardware with a Zmax label on it. I just looked in the Simpson Strong Tie book. I see nails there but I don't see them marked as zinc coated. I don't think the pocket size book is complete.
I suggest you call them.
800 999 5099

I use Bostitch framers when framing, but use a Senco 602 for decks and railings (fences too). The main reason for that is the Bostitch nails are thickcoat galvanized, and I'm not too sure how good that is, yet. The Senco uses hot dipped galvanized nails, which work superbly on the exposed ACQ applications. Will the PC shoot hot dipped galvanized nails?

Yep. I found some 3 Hitachi hot dipped galvanized nails at Lowes that work with my gun. It takes 21 or 22 degree nails which I've had trouble finding. I'm in search for some 2 ones to do the pickets. HD only has 30 degree ones and Lowes only goes down to 2 3/8' for the 21 degree. I'm going to try a local store tomorrow that supposedly has a much larger selection of nails.

Be aware that there are TWO different galvanizing processes.
The new PT lumber (ACQ) will eat aluminum in a matter of months.
Electro-plated galvanized metal lasts maybe a year or so in it. Hot dipped galvanized products last MUCH longer in it.
Simpson Z-Max seems to be standing up to the ACQ. That is all I have used (as far as hangers and other deck hardware) on the ACQ since it came out several years ago. As far as fasteners (which is more what this discussion is about), all I use is Stainless Steel or screws that are coated so as to be ACQ approved.
As far as a fence, I DO NOT and WOULD NOT use nails to attach the fence boards to the rails. That is why the good lord gave us SCREWS!!

Originally Posted by lefty
As far as a fence, I DO NOT and WOULD NOT use nails to attach the fence boards to the rails. That is why the good lord gave us SCREWS!!
Well, it all depends. Where I lived in SE Washington State is high desert (very loose, sandy soil) and the wind blows a lot. Gusts to 30 or 40 mph are not unusual. Privacy fences are typically installed using metal posts cemented at least 3 feet into the ground. The fence boards are nailed on, using relatively short nails. The idea is that a big gust will maybe blow off some boards rather than blow over the whole fence.






Tags: nails, should, galvanized nails, dipped galvanized, dipped galvanized nails, fence boards, attach fence, attach fence boards, attach fence boards rails, attach fence boards rails That, boards rails, boards rails That, boards rails That good