Monday, March 10, 2014

Popup Repair Parts



First off, I hope this isn't against the rules.... I searched for 'parts' and found an old post that looks like it is prohibiting solicitation for parts. If I'm off base, feel free to talk to me; I'm assuming that post was in fact a retailer trying to get free advertising space. Lacking clear understanding about that find, I will assume that the post I found wasn't really prohibiting what I'm requesting.
My girl and I are combining households (marriage impending), I am about to consider repairing a popup camper, her Skamper 212C.
The popups' current needs are described as: Needs a piece of plastic which holds the canvas which is the outside roof of the extension. I've tried Googling for Skamper, but it seems Skamper has no website. Google points me to an RV association: This website is a service provided by RVUSA.com to further customer knowledge of Skamper RV's. Not that I would never use their site, I just feel that the link is not the manufacturers link, and I'm thinking that the RV realms are filled with unique components designed for only one or two models.
Anyways, I think it is worthy of continued use. It also needs a bath, hasn't been on the road for a couple years, etc, so I have some work to do!
If I may?
Who bought Skamper?
Are there such things as after market repair parts suppliers, similar to automobile after market?
General good links for advice to an RVing rookie, especially in my position?
Thanks!

And Thor has become so big that all information about the Skamper line has been buried.
Rhetorical question: exactly why does a company purchase a manufacturer when they have no intention of supporting the acquired business? Never mind..... it makes no difference.

http://www.dmoz.org/Shopping/Vehicles/Parts_and_Accessories/Recreational_Vehicles/

most local rv dealers can suply aftermarket parts sutable to many makes try checking out your local dealer for information
i know the one here in my city has many aftermarket parts catalogs worth a try

I've learned that there is some uniformity in the Popup/RV industry.
Examples are similar to household appliances or automobile parts: At home, if a Delta faucet starts leaking, you repair it with Delta faucet parts. In your RV, you'd get parts for a Magnetek power inverter from ... Well, from Magnetek. Ok, maybe not 'parts' for an inverter. At home, you'd get Hoover, Whirlpool, Maytag or Kenmore parts from ... um, RepairClinic.com. RVs and the like have their own manufacturers: Thetford, Flexsteel, Wedgewood, Duo-Therm, Norcold, Honda/Onan/Generac, etc.
Bulbs, wheel bearings, leveling jacks, that stuff is all rather generic, not lost when the manufacturer gets bought out (Skamper got bought out).
Sinks, refrigerators, stoves and the like that are used in popups have been made fairly interchangeable, so if a popup needs a new sink, well, visit the local RV center (or any supplier that you can Google) for a selection of sinks and/or sink parts. FWIW, Google is now a verb: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=google
Canvas can be replaced, too (for a price). Slider rails might be difficult to find. Some stuff is kind of unique, maybe the sliders and door hinges are unique, and so on.
Oh, yeah.... this is a used trailer, I need to REPLACE the 3 TIRES! Yes, I need a spare!
Advice: Google for the brand and model of tires you are considering BEFORE you buy anything.... there seems to be a MAJOR issue with one brand that USED to be considered to be the best trailer tire.
I'm still searching....

Contact Canvas Replacement, they had some lift arm parts for my 75 Skamper and shiped them pretty quick.
CanvasReplacements.com
800-255-2079

Oh, I forgot that I had posted this thread, sorry. We have opened the camper, the problem was a bit simpler to solve. It seems that the former owner had some problems with the canvas fastening system, and they replaced whatever OEM parts with ... clear plastic bathroom 'mirror' clips!
The canvas is held in place by virtue that the edge of the canvas has been rolled over to treble the thickness, and that is stitched so as to keep the folds from unrolling. That fold gets ticked into the interior channel, and the mirror clip simply prevents the fold from being backed out of the channel. Probably the OEM part was a long strip that was screwed into place in the same holes I'm using, but no matter, the canvas has been retained reasonably well in this manner. Need to restitch some of it, the threads have rotted in some lower areas.
The cleaning aspect is about to be completed, a stiff brush and some canvas cleaner (who'd a thunkit?).
The only real issues are to replace the tires, rr the wheel bearings, check the electricals, get 2 or 3 more locking column thingies and off we go!
SheKnewICould: Thank you VERY much, that will be useful to replace the locking columns and possibly some canvas repairs.

nice to check this out..!! Fair stuff..!!
.
collagen cream






Tags: popup, repair, parts, after market, aftermarket parts, bought Skamper, canvas been, Delta faucet, some canvas, that post, wheel bearings